5.31.2012

Mod Bod | PUMPED UP KICKS

Some of my posts for a while will be related to things I made for my trip to Thailand and Cambodia this spring with my husband and his classmates. Hopefully they're applicable for your traveling OR everyday needs!


I love high heels. At an astounding 5' 2" (cue laughter here) I can always use some help in the height department, and I love how heels can instantly make an outfit look polished. Even though it's often more practical to don flats, I don't have a very extensive collection of cute and comfortable flat shoes. I knew there would be lots and lots of walking involved in our Asia trip, so I headed out to Target (my second church) to find some cute and simple kicks. My options were a cute floral print (which I loved, but it seemed so trendy that I could imagine those shoes being out-of-fashion by next summer), some navy or teal lace-less slip-ons (also cute, but potentially problematic when matching to multiple outfits), or plain white gals. I didn't want to be a bore, but none of the colors/patterns available really fit the bill, so I went ahead and bought the white kicks. 

Never fear, though. I had a plan! Using some gray acrylic paint I had on hand (I told you I'm obsessed) and some masking tape, I marked out a simple striped pattern on both shoes and painted a couple coats. When I removed the tape, I realized my shoes looked kind of nautical (which is totally alright with me), so I searched the internet for some interesting shoe-tying methods that would look like sailor's knots. The picture below shows what I settled on. 



I'm pretty in love with these shoes. Besides travelling to Thailand and Cambodia, they followed me to KC and Vancouver. They're really in need of a wash, but I'm a little sad to wash off the dirt from so many different places. Is that weird of me?


5 comments:

  1. This is a great shoe-refashion. I love them. If I get my hands on some white shoes like these, I'm totally going to do that. Thanks for sharing.
    Greetings from Germany
    Catrin

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so much better! I love them! I’d love for you to share this project on Tuesday’s Tidbits @ Naptime Delights: http://naptimedelights.blogspot.ca/2012/06/tuesdays-tidbits-3.html

    Thanks so much!
    Sarah
    {http://naptimedelights.blogspot.com}

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so fun! Love for you to share them on my linky party!
    http://www.igottatrythat.com/p/blog-hop-linky-colde.html
    Thanks,
    Marcie @ www.IGottaTryThat.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the blog loaded with so many information. Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for. mainqiu.asia

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made such an interesting piece to read, giving every subject enlightenment for us to gain knowledge. Thanks for sharing the such information with us to read this... poker88

    ReplyDelete

Well aren't you a cool kid. Thanks for dropping me a line!