3.12.2012

How to Throw a Winter Party | Invitations and a Peek

This week I will be sharing how I put together a "Cozy Winter Social". It was a perfectly fun way to distract myself while my husband was out of town. If you want to see the other stages of putting the party together, check out my posts from the rest of this week!


If you follow my Instagram at all, you've noticed that I've been mourning the absence of My Main Man. He's been in Thailand enjoying some awesome time with his classmates for the past four weeks, and I've been singing sad songs as I peer out from our widow's walk awaiting his return. Just kidding :). I have been pretty lonely, but I've had some really awesome friends and family step up and invite me to plenty of social and food-centered functions. I also planned ahead and decided to throw a social for my gal pals. I don't really have a lot of friends that know each other, so I was interested to see how this social experiment might turn out. (Spoiler: It turned out pretty darn well!)

To start things out, I put together an invitation that really set the mood for my party. I wanted the invitation to express that it was:

WINTERY: I used a frosty blue, soft grey, and white color combination
ELEGANT: By adding some flourishes to the wording, I set the tone for a more-than-casual social. 
NOSTALGIC but TRENDY: I used a combination of clean, fresh fonts (like Rockwell and Courier New) juxtaposed with a circus-inspired font (Rockwell). I arranged the wording in a crisp, well-defined rectangular block.  

As much as I would have loved to have each invitation letter-pressed and delivered by courier pigeon, I needed to keep this party budget-friendly, so I sent out invites electronically. I'm going to tell you all about the rest of my party throughout the week, so here are a few sneak peeks to get your creative mouth watering!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Well aren't you a cool kid. Thanks for dropping me a line!